Monday, September 28, 2015

Leslie Hauser - Author Interview

I had the amazing opportunity to ask Leslie Hauser a few questions about herself and her upcoming debut novel, Chasing Eveline.


Q: Do you have any books coming out soon?
A: On November 10, 2015 my debut novel Chasing Eveline drops [Turquoise Morning Press]. It's a YA Contemporary book about dealing with loss and about the healing and unifying effects of music. It's really a love letter from me to music. I'm so very excited for my first published novel.

Q: How do you/would you deal with writer's block?

A: I freak out and panic, haha. Then I try to step away from the computer or page and just live the story in my mind. If I can play the movie in my head, often this will help me have a clearer picture of how I want to write it.

Q: What advice would you give aspiring writers?

A: I've had a lot of rejection. It's especially difficult when the rejection is really just personal preference. My advice would be to keep at it And it really is true...write because you want to write not because you want something as a result. My publishing offer came at a time when I was ready to give up. At the last minute I decided to enter a contest, and I drew interest from a small press that ultimately made me an offer. It was a matter of finding the right person for my story at the right time.

Q: Coke or Pepsi?

A: Coke! And actually only Diet Coke. With a lime. (Hey Leslie, I am addicted to Diet Coke too, but you can keep the lime!)

Q:What author/author's would you consider an influence?

A: One of the authors I read when I first started reading YA was Sarah Dessen. So I'd have to say she's a huge influence. Her stories made me realize that I could write YA too and that I wanted to. I also love the writing of Nuala O'Faolain. Her two books, "My Dream of You" and "Are You Somebody?" have left lasting impressions on me.

And last but not least:

Q: If you could have only one book for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
A: This is so difficult. (That is why I asked!) And I am horrible at decisions. There are so many choices. I love Emma by Jane Austin. It's a classic that I love rereading. I also am always so entertained by Mindy Kaling. So either of her books would keep me laughing for life. And I've never gotten tired of reading "The House on Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros. Although, that one wouldn't take too long to read. I think I'd have to pick a name out of a hat. [That's not much of an answer is it?] (Oh but it is.. It tells us quite a bit about you!)

Now for the fun stuff! Here is where you will find this wonderful lady:


No comments:

Post a Comment