Sunday, November 8, 2015

Author Interview: Barb Lieberman

I had the wonderful opportunity to sit down with Bar Lieberman and ask her a few questions. Here is the wonderful interview :)

Do you have any books that have already been published?
Yes!
"The Treasure of Ravenwood: A Fairy Tale"
"To Miss the Stars"
"Message on the Wind"

Do you have any books coming out soon?
Yes!
To Reap a Whirlwind, coming out January 2016, prequel to Message on the Wind
What made you decide to be come a writer?
I've always been a writer. When I became very ill with MS years ago, I began to make up stories to help me fall asleep, advice I'd always given my children. Still unable to sleep, I began to write the stories down and they became a way to cope with a life so affected by illness. I met a very special man three years ago who encouraged me to publish my writing.

Is there a room/place in your home (or elsewhere) that you find you write better in?
No, I write better at my laptop. Where it is is less important than having the uninterrupted time to retreat into my flow and let the stories come to me.

Do you have a specific brainstorming process for your stories?
Not really. Stories appear in my head, at all sorts of inopportune times, and I go from there. I am very much a "pantser" when it comes to writing, letting the story take off and the characters tell it to me. I rarely know where and how it will end.

Pepsi or Coke?
Pepsi!

Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla

Do you listen to music while you write? Anything specific?

If I do, it's instrumental. Music with lyrics distracts my flow. But instrumental music has inspired me, even to the point of an entire story being based on a piece of music by David Lanz. 




Do you have a specific routine when writing?
Sit down and write.

What author/authors would you consider an influence?
"Jan Cox Speas, in inspiring me to love Scottish historical romance. Diana Gabaldon as a bar to be set for amazingly good writing.
JK Rowling as a reason to keep going, keep writing and keep working toward being someone's favorite author."

Do you prefer city life or country living?
Tough question. I moved from NJ, in the center of three large metropolitan areas very close by with access to all things cultural and delicious, to a very small town in the middle of nowhere in CA, with access to nothing but the gorgeous Sierra mountains. I now live again just outside a large city. I love both for very different reasons.

Is your ideal home a beach house or a cabin in the woods?
Cabin in the woods. I love the beach but that whole writer in a cabin in the woods really appeals to me I don't. I haven't experienced it. I think it comes from editing yourself before you write. Because of the way I started writing fiction, I just let the story come to me. They've never stopped coming. All coming at once, yes. But that's a different problem.

How do you (or would you) deal with writer's block?

I don't. I haven't experienced it. I think it comes from editing yourself before you write. Because of the way I started writing fiction, I just let the story come to me. They've never stopped coming. All coming at once, yes. But that's a different problem.

What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Write. Write. And then, write. Just write. Write the story you want to read. Write the story you're dying to tell. Do NOT edit it until it's done. Then pay someone to edit it for you. And then, keep writing.

If you could only have one book for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
This is a really difficult question. Off the top of my head, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. If I overthink this, I'll never answer it.

Where can we stalk... I mean find you?





No comments:

Post a Comment